Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chocolate heaven... in a muffin.

I went to a theme park called Cedar Point yesterday, and needed something for my brood to gnosh on while I was gone. Mostly my other half, as he is loathe to stand in the kitchen for longer than it takes to make Ramen noodles. So I asked myself, what does he like that can sit around for a day and a half, not need reheating or cooking, and preferably doesn't need any of my (very precious) fridge space? Muffins! But what kind?

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nut Muffins. You heard me, two chocolates and some nuts in a paper wrapper of heavenly goodness. So I went trolling for a good recipe. A really good one. But I couldn't find any! With the plethora of CCC (that's chocolate chocolate chip) muffin recipes on the 'net, I thought I'd find something. But every recipe I came across had to be tweaked to make it truly spectacular. So I sat down with the best one I found, read over the reviews, and put together something that turned out as yummy as anything I've ever had the pleasure of baking.

Now, I know muffins aren't bread. But they have flour and leavening, so by damn, they're getting blogged about! On to the recipe!

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nut Muffins


  • 2 cups (8 1/2oz, 240g) all-purpose flour

  • 3/4 cup (2 1/8oz, 62g) cocoa powder

  • 3/4 cup (5 1/2oz, 155g) white sugar

  • 3/4 cup (4 1/2oz, 128g) brown sugar *NOTE : Scoop the brown sugar, do not pack.*

  • 2 tsp (3/8oz, 10g) baking powder

  • 1/2 tsp (1/8oz, 4g) baking soda

  • 1/2 tsp (1/8oz, 5g) salt

  • 1 1/2 cups (12oz, 340g) milk

  • 2 tbsp (1oz, 28g) veggie oil

  • 1 tsp (1/8oz, 5g) vanilla extract

  • 2 eggs *NOTE : Using American Large eggs! Use roughly 3 1/2oz, 100g of eggs.*

  • 1 cup (6 3/4oz, 190g) chocolate chips

  • 1 cup (4oz, 112g) chopped nuts


Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Grease or line muffin tins.

Bowl 1: Whisk together flour, cocoa, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Bowl 2: Beat together milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs.

Combine the contents of bowls 1 & 2, being careful not to overwork. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. (Toothpick test is difficult because of chocolate chips, but if muffins seem too soft and “wiggly” after 20 minutes, bake the extra 5.)

Cool in pan 5-10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool completely.

No comments: